Littleton, CO asked in Divorce and Real Estate Law for Colorado

Q: My ex-wife and I still have a home together. Divorced three years, she is still there. I would like to get out now.

I left three years ago and she said she needed to stay until she could qualify for a loan. I have allowed it for three years and never said a word. Now she is dragging her feet and doe snot want to do it. Even though I have offered to help and do all the paperwork, calls and leg work for her. Want to get my name off the loans and home for credit purposes, so I can buy something by myself. Do I have options?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
John Hyland Barrett III
John Hyland Barrett III
  • Louisville, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: this depends on what you divorce decree says about the house. The court will enforce the terms of the decree. You should get a lawyer to help you with this.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.