Chicago, IL asked in Bankruptcy for Illinois

Q: I have a chapter 13. I am not able to make this monthly payment. I have a financial emergency. will my case be out

I have never missed a payment before. I have been short once, but never missed a payment. will my case be automatically dismissed. I've tried to get in touch with the trustee. . .line always busy.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY

A: No. It can be deferred until the end or recalculated under a plan modification.

Joseph Wrobel
Joseph Wrobel
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Chicago, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: Generally, a Trustee won't file a motion to dismiss with one payment missed. You will need to make up that payment.

It can easily be done by adding some money to your next payment and doing so each month til you are caught up.

I hope that helps.

​Joseph Wrobel

Joseph Wrobel, Ltd.

111 West Washington Street

Suite 1110

Chicago, IL 60602


Joseph Wrobel, Ltd.


1954 First Street

Highland Park, IL 60035

All offices - 312.781.0996

Fax - 312.962.4941

11 Locations

Chicago Loop • Chicago -Rosemont • Burr Ridge • Deerfield • Gurnee • Naperville

Orland Park • Schaumburg • Skokie • St. Charles • Westchester

Subscribe to our Monthly Bankruptcy Newsletter:

Click on the link to the right -

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.