Asked in Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for Louisiana

Q: Me and my boyfriend got into a fight and he got in my face and said some very nasty things and hit him.Will I go to jail

My boyfriend was screaming at me in my face while I was holding our 3 month old baby and I kept telling him to back up and get out my face but he wouldn't so I slapped him with my child in my arms. As soon as I did that I did lay my child down in her bed because even after that he still didnt back down and kept screaming at me even more i hit him a couple of other times to try and get him to stop. I've never had to hit anybody like that before and I'm not an aggressive person but in that situation i didnt really know what else to do. He ended up calling the cops out to our house on me and we had to talk to them about it. They didnt arrest me that night. They let me stay home. What will happen to me in this situation?

1 Lawyer Answer
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Covington, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: Hire an attorney. Move. I think you will be charged.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.