Asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Washington

Q: What are my legal rights as a father?

My daughters mom (my ex) will on occasion freak out when it's my weekend with my daughter and will coerce my daughter to say anything she feels justifies her to come over and take my daughter back and threaten me with calling the police etc when I have done nothing. She's done this multiple times and also when I want to visit my parents in AZ she'll make all these crazy rules and tell me she has the decision if I can take our daughter or not. We have a parenting plan in place but there's no restrictions in it. I'm just wondering what are my rights as a father?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Stacie Lynn Naczelnik
Stacie Lynn Naczelnik
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Seattle, WA
  • Licensed in Washington

A: Your residential time is defined by the parenting plan. Unless the parenting plan says that she can pick your daughter up during your time because your daughter says she wants her to, then she shouldn't be doing this. You should both be following the parenting plan as best you can.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.