Elmwood Park, NJ asked in Traffic Tickets for New Jersey

Q: Can I dismiss tickets if the cop stopped me for something that wasn't true but gave me different tickets?

I was heading back home at 9am from class and an officer stopped me because according to him I was speeding which I wasn't. There was even cars in front of me so there was no way I was speeding at all on a street with traffic. It was my first time getting pulled over ever, he said he was giving me a break for the ticket and gave me three tickets for taillights, obstruction of windshield and display of license plate. He told me that if he would've given me the speeding ticket it would've been a 500 dollar fine and 2 points on my license which to me sounded absurd when I wasn't in the first place. He even put on the tickets that my car is gold when it's grey. Can I get these tickets dismiss I have never been pulled over and there is no way I was speeding going back home from class with traffic.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
H. Scott Aalsberg Esq.
H. Scott Aalsberg Esq.
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • East Brunswick, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: Yes a police officer can give you a ticket for something other than what they originally stopped you for. Also, the fact that the police officer put down the wrong color for your car is generally considered a clerical error and generally does not effect the validity of the ticket.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.