Elmhurst, IL asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes and Personal Injury for Illinois

Q: Can I file a personal suit after being the victim of a felony assault?

I was the victim of a felony assault in 2019. The case just came to an end today with the state successfully getting a guilty please. I will receive restitution for damages received (I have lasting damage to my vision in my left eye, restitution only covers vision therapy receipts up to last year, I could not afford any more out of pocket since then). I believe the offender received two years probation and 20 days community service. I would like to know my options as my vision has been seriously affected which has had serious knock on effects in other aspects of my life.

1 Lawyer Answer
Alexander Ivakhnenko
Alexander Ivakhnenko
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Wheeling, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: You most definitely may initiate a civil action for additional lasting damages against the convicted person based on your description. I believe you have requisites merits to initiate such suit for damages, however, the difficulty will lie in the following: even if you file and obtain a judgment for damages against that person, if that person does not have assets, property or funds to be garnished to pay your damages, it would be challenging to collect from nothing, even with an entered court order for damages.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.