Raleigh, NC asked in Estate Planning and Real Estate Law for North Carolina

Q: What is the best way to handle a home that needs major repairs in an estate?

My father died 08/2018. He left behind a home that was not well taken care of. He owed money on it, and i paid what i could on it from his bank account, but once that ran out, my sister and I paid it off. We have not tried to sell previously because our disabled brother was living there and had been living there for20 years. He kept the power on, though he didn't really do maintenance. the power has been turned off, and the humidity is bad. I do not have anymore personal money to put into it. As executor, what can I do with this? i have 2 siblings.

the will said the house was "left to the children to sell and divide."

1 Lawyer Answer
Ben Corcoran
Ben Corcoran
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Yadkinville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: It sounds like you and your siblings can agree to sell the house and divide the profits from the sale as you see fit. My guess is also that your role as executor has been completed but I do not know that for certain.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.