Spotsylvania, VA asked in Traffic Tickets for Virginia

Q: What should I do? Update my license, pay my ticket first? If I update my license, will I possibly get in trouble?

My issue: I am living in VA, I have lived here for 2-3 years. I have a MO license, I got it there when I had turned 18. I had not updated it, as I was not aware I needed to. I have held it for 1 year while living in VA. Just recently, I got a speeding ticket for going 79/55. It was not reckless driving, was marked for speeding. I’m not sure what to do. I have the option to pay it online, which is fine. But I don’t know how dermit points will be assigned; VA or MO points? Just before that, I had gotten into a wreck in Florida while visiting my father. I was assigned 50% blame (I had collided with two cars that had collided in front of me on the highway). I have 2 main concerns: 1) will I be at risk of losing my license? 2) should I update my license? Or should I wait to pay my ticket? I don’t know how dermit points are being assigned; I did not get a ticket for having an out of state license when I was initially pulled over.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Daniel P Leavitt
Daniel P Leavitt
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Midlothian, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: You most certainly have a duty to update your license. There are limited exceptions for military/students but the law generally is you must update it within 60 days of moving here. Hire a lawyer to get the case in Virginia reduced or dismissed. That will help with points. But definitely fix the license issue.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.