Saratoga Springs, UT asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Utah

Q: If my dad refused to sign the renewal of my guardianship in Wyoming does that mean he revoked his legal rights to me?

Before I turned 18 my parents gained full legal guardianship of me as have Autism. They recently divorced around the same time a renewal of the guardianship was due. My father refused to sign it and I just want to know if that revoked all of his legal rights of being my father? My father was very abusive to me growing up and I have recently figured out that he sexually assaulted me multiple times while I was still a minor. This has made me want to cut all ties with him and he has shown that he doesn't want to act like a father to me. I don't want him to be able to come after me in any legal way as he is a narcissist and is unpredictable

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mike Branum
Mike Branum
  • Saint George, UT
  • Licensed in Utah

A: First of all, I hope you are now surrounded by people who love and care for you the way your father SHOULD have loved and cared for you.

As to your question, it depends on whether you remain under your mother's guardianship or not. If you ARE, you should encourage your mother to file to have the Wyoming guardianship recognized in Utah and, simultaneously, petition the Court to remove your father from the guardianship leaving mom as the sole guardian.

If you are NOT still under your mother's guardianship, then the answer will depend upon whether you are living independently or if there is ANOTHER person who has assumed the guardianship role. If you are living independently, you would be well-served to file to dissolve the guardianship in Wyoming to ensure neither parent will ever be able to merely file to transfer the guardianship to Utah. If another person has assumed the role, you should encourage that person(s) to file for guardianship in Utah and ensure the Court is aware of the potential for the existence of a guardianship in Wyoming (even though it sounds like that guardianship likely ended due to failure to follow the rules and file to renew the guardianship; I am not licensed in Wyoming, so I am not attempting to offer an opinion on the validity of the WY guardianship at the present time).

I wish you well!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.