Miami, FL asked in Appeals / Appellate Law, Identity Theft and Social Security for Florida

Q: Due to a mistake not of my making my DOB is inaccurate by 1 year. I am a 15yr US Navy Vet. Conflicting DOB exists.

I currently hold no valid ID for the State of Florida because of this discrepancy. I am 63yrs old and just diagnosed with prostate cancer, scheduled for surgery on 12 Oct.

1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Appeals & Appellate Lawyer
  • Little Neck, NY

A: This is not my area of practice, but your question remains open for two weeks and it frustrates me that a veteran might have their benefits held up due to administrative discrepancies in personal information. Here is an address link to a page in the SSA website -


RM 10210.295 Date of Birth Change on the Numident

Age is an integral part of the individual’s identity, and discrepant DOBs on various documents may raise a question about the individual’s identity.

If we change an individual’s date of birth (DOB) on his or her Numident record and the individual is receiving Title II benefits or Supplemental Security Income (SSI), we need to change the DOB on the individual’s payment record to agree with the Numident record when appropriate.

When changing an individual’s DOB, ask if he or she is:

• an SSA beneficiary, or

• an SSI recipient, or

• serving as a representative payee.



You might want to check with attorneys who are knowledgeable with the social security system and possibly Florida attorneys as to what other measures need to be taken to reflect accurate information in state records also (motor vehicle, property, etc.).

I hope this could at least get you pointed in the right direction where people more knowledgeable in this area might be able to assist.

Good luck

Tim Akpinar

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.