Poca, WV asked in Estate Planning for West Virginia

Q: In the will of my dad it states “To my son (me) I leave my land, subject to the right of my wife to reside there as long

as she wishes which however is currently financed and my son (me) is responsible for the payement” Right to occupy or Life Estate? Also, What are my rights as the land owner? The widow and I have been fighting for well over a year now as to what the will is or isn’t. Any help would be appreciated.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Crossville, TN

A: It sounds like you might be dealing with a poorly drafted right of occupancy. You should take this to an estate planning attorney or trust administration attorney for review and assistance. If the right of occupancy was set out in the will, your attorney can help you petition the court handing the probate of the will for guidance.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.