Dallas, TX asked in Criminal Law and Civil Rights for Texas


he was my x brother in law he told me to step out of the vehicle patted me down then stuck his hands in my pockets then searched my vehicle i had a cigarette pack and he snatched it from me and found drugs inside the pack he had no reason to do any of this other than to harass me because we never got along i was married to hus sister for 23 yrs.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael Hamilton Rodgers
Michael Hamilton Rodgers
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Dallas, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Well, if your ex-brother-in-law didn't have a legal reason to pull you over, then your rights may well have been violated. Even if he had reason for the stop, if you didn't consent to the search of your vehicle and he had no probable cause independent of consent, again, you may have a good legal challenge to puty forward. Problem here is you have provided no facts from which a lawyer here can make the determination of whether your rights were violated.

You should get a good attorney and view the video of the interaction with the officer (assuming there is one) in order for the lawyer to have a better factual basis for his or her analysis of your legal case. Do this as soon as possible. No answers you get here can substitute for the advice of wee-informed counsel. Good luck with your case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.