Reading, PA asked in Landlord - Tenant for Pennsylvania

Q: My old landlord sold the building. The new landlord states that my lease is not valid.

The new landlord states that my lease is not valid because my old landlord renewed my lease after they came into an agreement. Now he has raised my rent an extra $250 a month starting November 1st. I live in Pennsylvania - can he do that? My rental agreement was year to year and wasn't to be renewed till April 2022.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
  • Wyomissing, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: A lot depends on dates. What they are saying may hold if they gave you notice. If they didn't, then you may be able to claim under the old lease. Alternately, you could have a claim against the old landlord as he created an agreement when he lacked the power to perform under the agreement.

You should speak with an attorney who handles tenant issues. Best way to find one is to contact the local legal aid society, ask to speak to someone in the tenant rights section, ask if any of their attorneys have left for private practice, as they know most about tenants rights.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.