Stamford, CT asked in Probate for Connecticut

Q: Hello, I have joint account with my husband and in deed it With survivorship rights, should I go to probate

I also have a car under my husband name

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Steven Basche
Steven Basche
  • Probate Lawyer
  • West Hartford, CT
  • Licensed in Connecticut

A: You may not need a full probate process, but you will have to submit an estate tax return to show the estate is not taxable. Only estates over $7.1 million are taxable in Connecticut. You may be able to file what is called an affidavit in lieu of administration instead of full probate to transfer the car to your name. You can file the affidavit in lieu of administration if the solely owned assets, like the car, are under $40,000. But the tax return is important because if you don't file it, if you or someone else who inherits the house goes to sell it, the buyer will be looking for a certificate saying there is no estate tax due.

Amanda Gilbert-Largent agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.