Florence, SC asked in Family Law for South Carolina

Q: I have been married 3 years to my husband and we don't have any assets together. I acquired my house before the marriage

I have been married 3 years to my husband and we don't have any assets together. I acquired my house about 2 years before we got married. I recently left my home about 2 months and I haven't returned. I do still pay the bills but I am ready to return home, but he won't leave. How can I go about getting him to leave? What are our options as far as a speedy divorce without waiting the year of separation. Will I lose my house? Last whats and average cost of a divorce?


Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brittany Holmes
Brittany Holmes
  • Okatie, SC
  • Licensed in South Carolina

A: You should contact an attorney who services the area where you last resided as a married couple ( assumingly, the county where your home is) asap. Unfortunately, if you do not have a fault based ground for divorce, you will have to wait 12 months from the time the two of you separated before you can get a divorce. However, contacting an attorney now will give you the opportunity to have a judge order your ex out of the home, allowing you to live there exclusively while you wait the 12 months.

The cost of divorce varies greatly. A consultation with your chosen attorney will provide you with that information.

Megan Hunt Dell agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.