Asked in Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for Idaho

Q: prosecuting attorney hasn’t contacted me to let me know what’s happening with my case. do i need my own lawyer?

i filed a police report against my ex because she kicked me in the head & the state is pressing domestic battery charges against her. she has pre trial in 3 weeks & online in the court repository it said “notice of defense of alibi” does that mean she’s going to say she was never with him at the time of the fight? public prosecutors haven’t talked to me so i don’t know what happening. i have proof of everything though. do i need a private attorney to help with communication?

1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin M Rogers
Kevin M Rogers
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Boise, ID
  • Licensed in Idaho

A: You have the right to hire an attorney, if you want to? You are the State's witness and a "victim" pursuant to the Victim's Rights Statute in Idaho. Under that law, you have the right to meaningful notice of how they're handling this prosecution. Be patient, and don't betray them by asking them not to prosecute her!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.