Rockville, MD asked in Divorce, Child Support and Domestic Violence for New York

Q: Where can I find a pro bono attorney to assist me until the divorce settlement is reached and assets are liquidated?

My husband, swiftly and unbeknownst to me, depleted all accounts, cancelled joint credit cards & took possession of joint assets then served me with a divorce action/automatic orders. He has stifled me financially and has since ceased all financial support for myself and our 18 year old daughter. I'm no longer represented by an attorney for lack of funds. Can I file a pendente lite on my own and/or file for temporary child support in family court without an attorney?

1 Lawyer Answer
Lawrence Allen Weinreich
Lawrence Allen Weinreich
  • Garden City, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: Since the divorce has already started you can't file for support in family court. You should speak to an attorney about his making a motion for counsel fees to represent you as the court will grant your attorney fees to represent you if your husband had the means to make payment. At the same time, your attorney can move for spousal and child support. [All of the this information is for NY only.]

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.