Saint Louis, MO asked in Legal Malpractice for Missouri

Q: Attorney dropped me without valid cause. I cannot find another atty. Does the firm have responsibility to represent me?

My attorney has put my current legal case in jeopardy. I cannot find other representation nor do I have the money to start over. This attorney exhibited lack of knowledge of my case, he miscommunicated terms, and was not transparent in relaying settlement terms. He pushed the agenda of opposing counsel and ignored my wishes. Disclosed to defendant we were suing her and she can no longer be found. His boss began handling the case. There was both a civil and criminal aspect to my case. The attorney did not like that I was pursuing the criminal case and thought it might come back on his boss. The criminal case does not involve them, it is my right to pursue. For these reasons he dropped my case. I have tried to find another firm but noone will take the case. What steps should I take? I am so upset.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ronald J. Eisenberg
Ronald J. Eisenberg
  • Chesterfield, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: If a lawsuit has been filed then the attorney needs to file a motion to withdraw and the court must grant the motion before the attorney is off the case. You may oppose the motion to withdraw; however, given your dissatisfaction with the attorney I don’t believe you’ll be satisfied with continued representation and bills from the law firm.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.