Elizabeth, NJ asked in Child Support for New Jersey

Q: How can I transfer my ASUME PR case to where I'm leaving now? I'm currently in Elizabeth New Jersey.

My son's father owes a lot of money to child support. I've been leaving in New Jersey for over 3 years and haven't found how can I transfer my case. Please help. Thank You!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Richard Diamond
Richard Diamond
  • Millburn, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: I am going to presume that you have an existing probation department account elsewhere and your ex was obligated to pay his child support through that account.

Your ex was in arrears on his child support payments and owed you a lot of money.

You then moved to NJ 3 years ago, and since moving to NJ, you have not received any child support payments from your ex and you do not know how to transfer your ASUME PR child support account to NJ for collection purposes?

Presuming I am correct in my understanding of your setting, my suggestion is that you go down to the county probation department office and ask to meet with a representative to open an account. When you meet with an intake officer, make sure that you bring with you, the court order for child support, the paperwork showing that there is an existing account in place elsewhere, the contact information for the intake officer or office responsible for collection of your child support from your ex and an estimate of how much is owed by your ex under the terms of that order.

Hopefully, as a result of those steps, the intake officer can reach out to the other child support collection office to see where things stand with collection of the money and the transfer of monies from their account to the probation departments account in NJ for disbursement to you. Or, maybe the NJ intake office can assist you in filing an application for payment of arrears owed, and to require all payments of child support to be forwarded to you through the NJ probation department system.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.