Metairie, LA asked in Immigration Law for Louisiana

Q: I am citizen of IRAQ entered USA legally in 1994 and after arrival I applied to asylum but my application had been dined

My status now is final removal under supervision. Is there any chance for me to adjust my status and cancellation deportation and be able to apply for permanent resident. Thank you very much.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Alexander Ivakhnenko
Alexander Ivakhnenko
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Wheeling, IL

A: It appears that you have let your case go without necessary legal assistance:

1. Even generally, from the beginning an asylum applicant must carefully prepare one's case on applicable legitimate grounds and assemble corroborative evidence as the burden of proof lies on Applicant to convince the USCIS on case merits,

2. When such application is referred for removal to the U.S. Immigration Court with jurisdiction over that submission Applicant and one's attorney must update, supplement, and bolster with additional corroboration the case for one's merit,

3. If Applicant's case is denied at that juncture on merits Applicant or one's counsel must file a timely Appeal with the BIA within 30 days,

4. Not handling such case properly, timely, or correctly, results in a legal limbo that needs to be carefully evaluated, especially with a 26 year procedural delay.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.