Salem, VA asked in Federal Crimes for Virginia

Q: I have already been sentenced in federal court and am to self surrender on Nov1, I wrote my sentencing judge and asked f

For electronic monitoring instead of prison, I was denied because she doesn't have jurisdiction since she sentenced me. Who can I talk to about it now.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ashley Robinson Winn
Ashley Robinson Winn
  • Virginia Beach, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: Federal court is very strict with procedures and Home electronic monitoring should have been requested at sentencing. If the sentencing judge has lost jurisdiction, there is little that can be done, particularly if the appeal time has passed.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.