Ogden, UT asked in Criminal Law for Utah

Q: I plead no contest to attempted sexual abuse of a child. Can I get my record expunged?

This was after having the first trial be dismissed due to prosecutorial misconduct. I did have to be on the registry for 10 years, that is over. Attempted sexual abuse of a child isn't on the list of charges unable to be expunged. Also is there a law about giving the same prosecutor the case for a second trial? No other prosecutors would take the case. She originally was charging me a first degree felony for accusations that were much less than cases I hear aqbout now getting much lesser sentances.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mike Branum
Mike Branum
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Saint George, UT
  • Licensed in Utah

A: I cannot foresee a circumstance where you can get a conviction for sexual abuse of a child expunged. If you need further confirmation, I would schedule a consultation with a criminal attorney who specializes in sex crimes (there are a number in SLC). Attempt just gives the Court the discretion to levy a lesser penalty. You are basically being convicted of the offense, there usually is not an actual crime of "attempted ..." There is no law about giving the same prosecutor the case for a second trial. In fact, I believe you will find that is common practice.

Other individuals sentences are irrelevant to the discussion unless you had an argument that you received a harsher sentence due to your inclusion in a protected class. Even in those circumstances, it is a monumental task to get a conviction arrived at by plea agreement thrown out which is what you would have to do to get the conviction off your record.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.