Portland, OR asked in Contracts, Family Law and Real Estate Law for Oregon

Q: My boyfriend and I own a home. I put up the money for it. We are splitting. Do I have any rights to the money or home

I took a loan from my 401k. I want to stay in the house. I don’t know if he will leave.

1 Lawyer Answer
Vincent J. Bernabei
Vincent J. Bernabei
  • Beaverton, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: When an unmarried couple separates, Oregon courts attempt to determine the parties’ intent when deciding whether and how to divide property acquired during the relationship. The key inquiry is whether the parties intended to “pool their resources for their common benefit.”

You should consult with an attorney to determine your rights, as these are usually complex issues that require a detailed analysis of the unique facts and circumstances of your particular relationship.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.