Lancaster, PA asked in Traffic Tickets for Pennsylvania

Q: Can a police officer file the same exact citation twice with two different DJ's almost three months apart?

I was cited "failed to drive within a single lane and or movement from lane was not made safely" by a state trooper. I plead not guilty to that citation in July. Today I receive notice that my license will be suspended tomorrow due to failing to respond to the same citation and lists the citation in a different dj office. I did a case search by incident # and found two entries: 1. filed on 5/12/21 and status is closed with the dj office I plead NG 2. filed on 8/6/21 and status is inactive filed with the DJ office listed in the letter I received today. Both citations have the same date, time, location, officer, incident#, and ORI# but have two different citation and docket number. I called this afternoon when I got my mail which was about five minutes before the DJ office closed and tried to explain that I plead NG to the same citation at the other DJ office the lady was not helpful. What can I do? Clearly a clerical error of some sort.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
  • Wyomissing, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: Get all the paperwork in the docket for #1 & #2. Make copies and keep the originals.

If service of the complaint for #1 is identical, then it is an error. If he refiled for some reason and that was served on you then the issue is one of non response.

Not sure why your license would be suspended. Often the issue is a fine. Pay the fine, to keep your license, while you appeal if necessary.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.