Asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law for New York

Q: Hi, What are the forms (numbers) needed to apply to the courts to confirm a fee arbitration award in New York please?

I understand it is a special proceeding. Do i need to fill form #H-1 form#H-8 or both for example?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
David H. Relkin
David H. Relkin
  • Arbitration & Mediation Lawyer
  • Manhasset, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: In New York, one brings a special proceeding by a motion to confirm the Award in New York. It is a relatively quick matter. There are two issues in confirming the Award: one in which the respondent appeared and contested the Award, and the other, when the arbitration was not contested. The necessary allegations are very different and the respondent may contest the Award based on jurisdiction and other reasons. I recommend that you retain an attorney to, at the very least, guide you through this process so that the Judgment is entered quickly.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.