Asked in Animal / Dog Law for Louisiana

Q: Can someone lawfully shoot my non-aggressive dog if he's in the street in front of my house?

I live in Louisiana. A man was walking down the street in front of my house and my dog ran into the street where he was. He's not aggressive at all. He's a small/midsized dog and he's very friendly. He just wants people to pet him. The guy shot my dog in the face at point blank range for what seems to be no reason and my dog had no intention to do harm. Can I press animal cruelty charges or can I sue for vet bills? The sheriff's department said there's not much they can do at the moment due to lack of evidence and the circumstances it falls under.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
  • Animal & Dog Law Lawyer
  • Covington, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: Call Animal Protection and press animal cruelty charges. Then contact the Justice of the Peace and file suit against the gun toting psycho. Then build a fence.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.