Levittown, PA asked in Child Custody for New Jersey

Q: What happens to s/o passes and has a child and we’re not married.

We are not married but i have been the father to her child since she was 2. She has custody of her but if she passes before we get married i want to know what to do to keep her with me and her brother with my fiancé.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael Andrew Conte
Michael Andrew Conte
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Princeton, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: I think I understand your question to mean that you have been raising the child of your significant other for some time, and now you are facing a situation in which your significant other may pass away. Your question is highly complex, and a lot would depend on whether the other parent of the child is in the situation. I strongly encourage you to schedule a consultation with a competent family law attorney to discuss all of the facts and circumstances, and help you plan accordingly.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.