Owings Mills, MD asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Puerto Rico

Q: My niece & nephew are now entitle to their mom share of house in PR bc she passed

They were born in New york & refuse to give original birth certificate. Can i obtain their birth certificate & how?. I want to buy home belonging to my parents

their grsnd parents . I can get their mother. My sister bc she was born in PR but not sure about her children.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rafael  Pagan-Colon
Rafael Pagan-Colon
  • Probate Lawyer
  • San Juan, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: Having been born in NY myself, I can state that, the only ways to procure an original birth certificates for someone born there are (a) through the person him/herself, (b) through a parent, or (c) through a third party authorized by the person. I would advise that you contact an attorney who practices law in New York to assist in procuring your nephews’ birth certificates.

Once the certificates are in hand, you can go to PR court to (a) file a Petition for Declaration of Heirs; (b) file your collective hereditary rights in the Puerto Rico Public Registry; and (c) return to court for an Inheritance Petition & Partition lawsuit.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.