San Jose, CA asked in Criminal Law and DUI / DWI for California

Q: Do I need to get a private attorney? Without one am I am any trouble?

I’m a 23 year old from California , I recently violated my court probation. I violated it with a “spectating ticket” For watching an illegal motor vehicle contest.

My original conviction that got me on probation was a dui back at the beginning of 2020.

My record is clean besides these 2 incidents.

I finished my dui program/community service.

My lawyer was trying to charge me 2500$ for this which I believe is absurd.

I don’t have the money, and court is on the 29th if this month.

- I was in fact within 200 feet of the motorvehicle contest. I had no keys on me, I was not driving that night. It was at about 12 at night when the ticket was given to me.

They gave out 170 “spectating tickets” that night.

I guess my questions directed more so at the fact I violated my court probation and the consequences for that

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Palm Desert, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: more info is needed

it is always best to have an attorney.

however, if you can't afford one the court will appoint the public defender on any criminal case.

the reason fees are so high is that most cases are not resolved with one appearance.

Covid has caused all courts to be behind.........thus there is always a very good chance that a criminal case will NOT resolve on the first appearance.

However, a case as minor as this and the court may just say, whoever pleads will get a $50 fine or something like addition there is a new Diversion program for misdemeanors.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.