Knoxville, TN asked in Collections for Tennessee

Q: I was served a civil summons brought by a debt collector, but there is no Complaint attached. How do I answer?

I was served a civil summons and given a time and date to appear before the civil sessions court to answer a civil action brought by a debt collector (small claims). However, there was no Complaint attached to the summons, only an affidavit saying how much the debt collector claims I owe. Is there something I am supposed to do before the court date? Without seeing the complaint, how do I answer it?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: Answers are not usually filed in General Sessions Court. You go to Court and defend yourself. You are confused with Courts of Record. I recommend hiring an attorney to represent you to at least mitigate the Judgment amount, or even file a Notice of Exempt Property to forestall collection by execution.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.