Wallingford, CT asked in Probate for Connecticut

Q: My father passed away a few weeks ago and did not have a will, He only has about $49,000 in his bank account and owned

Some trucks and don’t know where the titles are.He didn’t really tell use much.What would be the next step?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Steven Basche
Steven Basche
  • Probate Lawyer
  • West Hartford, CT
  • Licensed in Connecticut

A: You will need to petition the probate court for what is called intestate administration. That is what the process is called when someone dies without a will. Since his solely owned assets are more than $40,000, you won't be able to file a short form probate (called an affidavit in lieu of administration).

Once you file that and get appointed as the administrator, there is more work to be be done. If you search "10 steps in CT probate" you will find a list of what has to be done.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.