Bend, OR asked in Contracts for Idaho

Q: How to conduct Judgment Debtor Examination from out of state?

Good afternoon,

I want to file an order for Appearance and Examination against a Judgment Debtor. However, the Debtor resides in California, while we (Judgment Creditor) reside in Idaho. We have already obtained a sister-state judgment so we're all good there. But do we need to fly down to CA in order to ask questions in the examination or is there a possibility for a remote situation, in which the Judgment Debtor attends in person and we attend via video?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin M Rogers
Kevin M Rogers
  • Boise, ID
  • Licensed in Idaho

A: Good afternoon,

Did you sue the debtor in California? or Idaho? Wherever you got your judgment is where you will file your "post judgment" motions. However, that's where the difficulty lies in trying to haul someone from CA to Idaho after the judgment. The subpoena power of the State of Idaho, ends at the border. It is not possible to hail someone from another state into Idaho involuntarily, in a civil case. However, why don't you register your Judgment in California and proceed on it from California? That would make it impossible for the judgment debtor to avoid service and if he failed to show up, you may be able to get a "warrant of attachment" or arrest warrant. That would seem to be the least onerous and possibly the least expensive way to do what you need to do!

Good Luck to you!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.