Asked in Real Estate Law and Civil Litigation for New Jersey

Q: My ex husband refuses to sell marital home and won't sign the papers. What can I do?

We divorced in 2013. House was underwater heading to foreclosure. Judge said my 4 kids and I could remain in home as long as I kept up with all bills. Ex had nothing to gain so he agreed. In those years I managed to gain equity in home and I'm ready to sell. I have already moved out and my Ex refuses to sign the papers. I'm still paying mortgage & taxes and they delay will likely cost thousands. He is on the deed as well as the mortgage

1 Lawyer Answer
Morris Leo Greb
Morris Leo Greb
  • Rockaway, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: You may file an action in court called partition. The Court has the power to compel a sale. Speak to an attorney with litigation and real estate experience.

Anthony M. Avery agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.