Elmwood Park, NJ asked in Real Estate Law for New Jersey

Q: Can I have more time to move out?

I live in NJ. My landlord gave us notice that he will not be renewing our lease in January. It is a two family home and the landlord resides in the other unit. However, due to Covid we are a family of 4 with a one income household. Unfortunately we have no savings to just move out. Can we request more time because I don’t know how we can continue to pay rent and save for an apartment that requires security and first months rent? I don’t want to start trouble but I was hoping to stay until at least income taxes. Please advise.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Morris Leo Greb
Morris Leo Greb
  • Rockaway, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: Yes, do not vacate when requested. NJ does not recognize self help. The LL will be required to file an action in court for possession. Make sure you attend all court proceedings. If the court enters judgment for the LL, ask the court to stay the eviction proceedings. The court has the power to stay evictions for up to six months.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.