San Bernardino, CA asked in Probate for California

Q: why would probate judge give someone a chance to amend a petition for revocation for probate of will if the petition was

filed after a 120 days which is past the statue of limitations in california

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Howard E. Kane
Howard E. Kane
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Oakland, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: The process for petitioning to revoke probate of a will in California is codified in Probate Code section 8270 et seq. which reads as follows:

8270. (a) Within 120 days after a will is admitted to probate, any interested person, other than a party to a will contest and other than a person who had actual notice of a will contest in time to have joined in the contest, may petition the court to revoke the probate of the will. The petition shall include objections setting forth written grounds of opposition.

(b) Notwithstanding subdivision (a), a person who was a minor or who was incompetent and had no guardian or conservator at the time a will was admitted to probate may petition the court to revoke the probate of the will at any time before entry of an order for final distribution.

If the judge gave petitioner leave to amend their pleading, then most likely one of the exceptions listed in section 8270 may apply, and the judge is giving the petitioner another chance to at least claim one of these exceptions before denying the petition.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.