Asked in Domestic Violence for Arkansas

Q: if there is a no contact order in place, is it legal for the victim and her family to still contact the defendant?

my boyfriend was charged with domestic battery 3rd degree over a yr ago. He is currently on 5 yrs probation with a no contact order in place. The victim and her family members have contacted him several times throughout this year. He has not responded at all to the victim at all but she continues to try every avenue to contact him about his child. Every time she contacts him he lets his probation officer know but is there any legal step or action we can take against her. We have all the messages and screenshots of every time she has messaged him.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Terry Jones Zach
Terry Jones Zach
  • Domestic Violence Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV

A: That would depend on whether her contact/communication can be construed as harassment. Typically, a no contact order only applies to the defendant, your boyfriend, and the person seeking the no contact order is not prohibited or punished for reaching out to him regarding their child. However, the argument can be made that a no contact order is not necessary if she is not afraid of him and continuously tries to contact him on a regular basis. Also, if her messages become threatening or harassing in anyway, then he may also have grounds for a no-contact order or a temporary protective order against her, which would essentially result in mutual no contact orders, and then she would also be prohibited from reaching out to him personally or through a third-party.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.