Greenfield Center, NY asked in Family Law and Banking for New York

Q: My son, who is incarcerated, gave me Durable Power of Attorney to cash stimulus check of $1400, can't get cashed

Citizens bank, where I have an account, will not allow me to cash it or deposit the check even with the Durable Power of Attorney. My son marked on it for banking transactions, retirement benefit transactions and tax matters. I also have his state issued ID. I've been searching for other places to get it cashed.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Peter Christopher Lomtevas
Peter Christopher Lomtevas pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Dallas, TX
  • Licensed in New York

A: Go to his bank, endorse the check by signing the back of the check "his name by your name, his agent" or "his attorney in fact" and bring the power of attorney with you. The bank should have no problem cashing it unless it is for a large amount, in which case you may need to deposit it first and wait for it to clear.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.