Asked in Divorce, Family Law and Child Support for Mississippi

Q: If my ex husband is not following the divorce papers and paying his half of my childrens extra expenses what do I do?

My divorce papers state that my ex husband is supposed to have insurance on my children and pay extra expenses for any extra curricular activities or expenses. My daughter has had braces twice and I’ve paid out of pocket neither him nor his insurance has paid anything and my son is taking college courses yet again not paying anything. This is just two of the most recent things. What can I do?

1 Lawyer Answer
Melissa L Gardner-Ardoin
Melissa L Gardner-Ardoin
  • Olive Branch, MS
  • Licensed in Mississippi

A: You should retain an attorney and file a petition asking that your ex be found in contempt and requesting any amounts owed to you, including attorney’s fees, filing fees, and service fees.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.