Washington, DC asked in Child Support for Maryland

Q: My child is 18 in high school living on their own, do I still have to pay child support to custodial parent?

How do I get child support changed to go to child personally while they are living on their own?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley
  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: You would have to file a motion to modify child support in order to change an existing child support order, so until you do that and the court issues a different order, you owe the money. The court has the discretion to modify child support back to the date you file your motion to modify. The problem is, your child is entitled to support until they complete high school, regardless of who they reside with, or even if they reside alone, so while you may succeed in terminating payments to the other parent under the existing order, you will likely be ordered to pay the same amount to your child or to whomever the child is living with and being supporting by, as should the other parent.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.