Asked in Criminal Law for Texas

Q: Rented rims from rent a tire now felony theft charges

In Aug I was put in the hospital with covid and kidney stones. Told them in Aug to come get the rims. Never got a letter in the mail only text messages and they never came for the rims. I paid over half of what was owed. Only owed 1600 in Aug. What can I do about them pressing felony charges. I also about two weeks ago I told them to come get the rims.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kiele Linroth Pace
Kiele Linroth Pace
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Austin, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: You can't really DO anything about the fact that you were accused. Anyone can be charged with any crime. However, you can only be CONVICTED if you enter a plea of Guilty or No Contest or if the prosecutor can prove EVERY element of the offense beyond a reasonable doubt to a unanimous jury. The defendant's INTENT is one of the elements of the offense of theft. Hire a criminal defense attorney who understands this and is willing to force a trial to make them prove it if they won't dismiss the case. Unfortunately, a trial is expensive so all of the cheap attorneys and most of the court-appointed ones are primarily concerned with negotiating a plea agreement. If you lacked intent then you are innocent of theft so a charge reduction to misdemeanor theft or deferred adjudication is not a "good" negotiated result, especially when you consider that being labeled a thief will seriously impact your career options in the future... for the rest of your life.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.