Texas City, TX asked in Criminal Law for Texas

Q: Could you tell me my worst case scenario vs my best case scenario?

Hi I just caught a case these people tried to run me off the rode and followed me home so I shot my gun in the air And the cop told me it hit their van but no one was injured and I could call the police because I was crying and scared for my life they were laughing and they basically tried to run me off the rode trying to kill me I was charged with aggravated assault and this is my first offense

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kiele Linroth Pace
Kiele Linroth Pace
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Austin, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Sounds like a potential self defense with maybe a little defense of property added for good measure (the property being your home.)

Anyway, the worst case is 20 years in the state penitentiary, a $10,000 fine, and a felony conviction that results in permanent loss of firearm rights. However, this is unlikely for a first offense that didn't actually hurt anyone. The best case is a clean dismissal that leaves you eligible to have all the records of the arrest and prosecution removed from your criminal history. Unfortunately, the more you are willing to invest in your defense, the more likely you are to end up with the best case result.

John Cucci Jr. agrees with this answer

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.