Panama City, FL asked in Criminal Law for Florida

Q: Unsuccessful termination of felony probation?

I'm supposed to get off of probation in Dec. My officer is violating me for not finishing up the payments and for a couple hours of community service. I'm also on a two year suspended sentence . I have talked to him and talked to him about why I haven't been making my payments or doing the 18 hours of community service I have left. I have some pretty serious health issues which isn't allowing me to work so I'm not able to pay anything. I've filled for disability and that's taking a long time. So will I have to do the two year suspended sentence I have or is there a good chance of the judge letting me off?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Colleen Kasperek
Colleen Kasperek
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Perhaps is the most accurate answer I can provide. Much depends on the judge's temperament, how cooperative you've otherwise been with your PO and what the prosecutor view is of you. Do you have a significant criminal history? That will be very influential to the judge and prosecutor. I suggest that you get ahead of this after by securing a local criminal defense attorney who can file a motion to terminate probation BEFORE you are violated. This attorney can best plead your case to the judge. Don't wait on this or you'll likely be violated and waiting a month or more in jail for a hearing. Good luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.