Houston, TX asked in Child Support for Oklahoma

Q: Can OCSS request a child support modification without a motion initiated by the CP or NCP?

I received a letter in the mail today from OCSS informing me of a hearing to modify child support.

I called the custodial parent and she seemed as shocked as I was when she checked her mail. She claims that she did not file any motion and that she did not believe a modification was necessary. Then again, I still have to ask...

Can OCSS actually set a hearing for modification without either party requesting a modification?

Thank you!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Pete David Louden
Pete David Louden
  • Norman, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: It sounds like that is what has happened, so yes, it can happen. My experience is this sometimes happens when the other parent is receiving some type of state benefits.

I have also seen more than a few cases where the other parent denies requesting the modification, only to later learn they had in fact asked for a modification.

Hire an attorney and it may be possible that the attorney could convince the state not to pursue the motion to modify if the other parent is in agreement. Worst case, the attorney will at least be able to make sure support is calculated correctly so you don't get stuck paying too much.

Best of luck!

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.