Gretna, LA asked in Tax Law and Estate Planning for Louisiana

Q: What should I do about a Property Sale Tax letter I received for a house I don't live in but was willed to me

My wife inherited 50% her grandfather's house in 2013 when he passed away. We weren't allowed to move in because Louisiana deemed it a family house. Her aunt has been living in the house since 2014 but is not paying property tax. We received a letter in the mail with my wife’s name and her deceased grandmother’s name about Tax Sale because the taxes weren’t paid. Jefferson Paris say we can’t evict her because it’s a family house. What should we do? We have the will and all the paper work.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Randy Bryan Ligh
Randy Bryan Ligh
  • Baton Rouge, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: At some point in time the taxes will have to be paid or you risk losing ownership of the house. Based on your post, it is not clear whether the sheriff has seized the property for a tax sale, or if someone pad the unpaid taxes and "purchased" the property---you need to contact an estate/succession lawyer in your area or in the Jefferson Parish area to discuss your options-----you use the phrase "family house" but I am not sure of the context----if you (your wife) solely own the house, then I would think you are responsible for the taxes. If you (your wife) and others own the house, and there's disagreement, then there are ways to force a sale or to rid yourself of any ownership. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.