Richmond, TX asked in Family Law and Personal Injury for Oklahoma

Q: Can I sue my ex husband for part of a death settlement he received from our daughter's accident?

My 21 year old daughter passed away last year. It was an ATV accident, my ex husband her father filed a death suit before I did. He received the settlement money this year and even though I was named in the documents as her mother next of kin, she wasn't married or had children I wasn't given anything because he told his lawyer that he had no way of contacting me. Which is a lie because I have text messages from him after our daughter died.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Howard Berkson
Howard Berkson
  • Tulsa, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: You can sue, but you may not have to. You might try contacting his attorney and see if his attorney can talk some sense into him. If that doesn't work, you'll need to contact an attorney. If you don't think anybody can talk any sense into him, you may want to get an attorney and go straight to court and get an emergency injunction to stop him from spending the money until this is resolved.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.