Florence, MS asked in Criminal Law and Juvenile Law for Mississippi

Q: My 17 year old was in a shoving match, and law enforcement was called. No one was arrested and other party had to leave.

The officer gave my son a lecture after hearing both sides. I as the parent broke up the altercation. The officer said if they come back everyone on the property will be arrested. He told my son you don't want your father arrested or yourself. My main question is since my son is only 17 a minor. I am guessing I am responsible for his actions even I was the person who made sure no one was hurt. I don't understand how I or anyone else besides the 2 who were pushing each other go to jail. I am very lost and confused when I think about how I could be arrested for the parties actions.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Melissa L Gardner-Ardoin
Melissa L Gardner-Ardoin
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Olive Branch, MS
  • Licensed in Mississippi

A: As far as the altercation is concerned, the individuals involved would be the ones subject to arrest. When police arrived, anyone who fails to follow lawful commands or acts unruly would also be subject to arrest. If you supply prohibited substances to the minors or allow them to use them while on your premises you may be subject to arrest. However, if you are talking about a group of teens hanging out at your house where a fight suddenly breaks out, you should not be subject to arrest, unless you do not follow the commands of the responding officers. I say “subject to arrest” because you never know what an officer will do when confronted with different scenarios.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.