Summerville, SC asked in Real Estate Law for South Carolina

Q: My ex boyfriend and I purchased land in cash and I’d like him to buy me out but he’s refusing, can I force sale?

He’s become petty and hinting that he can have my name removed from the deed without my consent, though ownership is 50/50. I’d like to sever ties and he can afford the buyout. Also, he has the only deed in his possession. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery

A: Deed should be recorded at the Courthouse. You could hire a competent SC attorney to file an action for a Sale For Partition, if you are actually a titled owner.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.