Leesburg, FL asked in Divorce for Florida

Q: Do I have a right to recop money that I have put into my wife's house in a divorce.

We are getting divorced after 2 years and I have invested money and time into the house. Since I had a mild heart attack she wants the divorce.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael  Mayoral
Michael Mayoral
  • Coral Gables, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Generally, the home should be considered marital property (split 50/50). I don't know if you will be able to get back (dollar per dollar) what you put into the property, as you two shared assets while being married. However, this is a question better asked to the attorney handling your side of the divorce, as he/she will have a better understanding of the facts. You should consult with and retain counsel.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.