Washington, DC asked in Child Support for Maryland

Q: Court coming up and I’ve been struggling to pay my child support over the years from losing job or can’t hold on to it.

Court contempt. I have struggle with hdhd and stuff going up and I don’t know what to do in this pandemic. What should I do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley
  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: There is a financial statement form you can either download from the circuit court website from the family law forms, or pick up from the courthouse. There is a short and a long form version. I suggest the long form if you can manage it. Download the instructions for how to fill it out as well (they explain how to take all your annual expense totals in the various categories and divide them by 12 to arrive at your monthly average expenses). Fill one or both out, gather your wage/income information (pay stubs, etc.), show evidence of unemployment periods if any, have backup information to prove your major monthly expenses (rent, car payment, food, utilities, etc.), show any major debts, and if applicable, file for a modification of child support based on your income and that of the other parent's income (e.g., if yours has gone down and theirs has gone up since the last child support order was entered). Show what you have in your bank account for the past six months with your bank statements. You need to demonstrate with evidence what your financial condition and situation is, so the judge can determine (1) whether you failure to pay is wilful and intentional; (2) whether you have the means to pay what has been ordered or not; and (3) whether a modification is appropriate (but you cannot get a modification unless you file a motion actually requsting that relief).

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.