Coldwater, MI asked in Identity Theft for Michigan

Q: My granddaughter left her boyfriend in Colorado and stayed with us while waiting for an apartment in Chicago. She asked

if we could co sign her

lease. We are 70 and retired. She has left apartments with unpaid rent in the past. We said we could not but she said that the company had waived the cosighner. We gave her furniture and she moved. We heard from her and she sent pictures of the apartment. She was to have come home for Christmas but never called or made contact with us. Last month I received a text from the Apartment management company stating that Emily owed six months of rent and fees and that since the lease was in my name, I was responsible! Emily even set up an email so they claim that they have been contacting me through it and that I was igoring them! I explained that I never signed anything or even heard of the email. How can I prove that I did not do this? They say that the balance is over $7000.00. Michele

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: This might be something you may not want to do given the family relationship, but is something you would likely need to do to clear your name: you will need to report this to the police. Until you do, the apartment complex will continue to hold you responsible for the balance.

Your other option is to pay off the debt, clear your name, and take this matter up within the family...and hope she never does anything like this again (somewhat unlikely given her course of conduct). What does her parents think about all this?

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.